Friday, May 7, 2010

Jesus did NOT Command us to be Fishers of Men

Well if your at all familiar with the main messages of this blog, you may be thinking "why would this post have this title?" Simply, because it is true. But allow me to elaborate before the thought that we shouldn't be fishers of men may enter (because whether we should and whether we are commanded to are completely different).

First lets look to what Scripture says:

Matthew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Jesus commanded us to follow Him; and in doing so, He said He would make us fishers of men. This is encouraging because in it we see that the responsibility is; our response in following, rested on His ability to make us.

But it is also one truth without conditions or exceptions - Jesus didn't say I may, or I will possibly; He said if we follow Him, He will make us fishers of men. We know Jesus never lied, and His promises are true and sure. So the challenge is in looking at Jesus' words in reverse - if we are not fishers of men, we are not following Him.

4 comments:

  1. This is GOoD stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! I followed you over here from the SoBE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it struck my heart the moment I read that it is based off His ability to make us. So many times we are filled with self doubt and restrictions to our own capability, that we think how are we ever going to become what we need to be... we think of all the changes we need to make... all the sacrifices. When we need not to worry ourselves with an overwhelming thought of reconstruction in ourselves. Follow God. How simple and beautiful that sounds. Like a child so desires to take a fathers hand, LORD I want to takes yours.

    ReplyDelete

Evangelism Resources

Evangelism Resources